Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sweet potato... Noodles?

I have been buying things because they sound good at the time, entering the item in Pinterest and picking which recipe suits my mood.

This is just how I like to cook. Does it always work out? No. It didn't matter when it was just me, but now with a hubs and a toddler involved I have to not just always go on my whims.

I was at Whole foods and some some monstrous sweet potatoes calling my name and I said " helloooo" and grabbed them.

Today I remembered I had them and so the Pinterest searching began.

I came across 'sweet potato noodles' from ProgressivePioneer.com

I needed - 1 sweet potato, butter, sage, salt, pepper.

It called for fresh sage ( lets be honest- I don't really have it lying around) so I had McCormick, so that's what happened.

I browned a Tbsp of butter and a tsp of sage, then added tendrils of sweet potato that I just made with a potato peeler. They cooked down quite a bit.

After they had a ' al dente ' feel to them I removed it from the heat an added more sage, salt and pepper to taste. This all took a total of 10 minutes. It was delicious, wheat free, made me full, full of vitamins, and most importantly toddler approved.

I liked that it wasn't mushy which can happen with sweet potato fries.

I would like to use a mandolin sliced and knife next time to see if I can get a more linguine style noodle. The vegetable peeler gave me a more egg noodle consistency.

If you would like to try them I would suggest heading over to ProgressivePioneer.com and checking out the way she suggests cutting them.

I think this ones a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment